Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Lemon Chiffon Recipe

 A few people have asked me to post the recipes I have tried.  I had originally planned to only post the recipes I would recommend, but from the feedback I've gotten, I've decided to post them all.

Following is the recipe for Pie #1-Lemon Chiffon Pie
Adapted from Perfect Pies by Michele Stuart
Perfect Pies

Crust
1 prebaked 9-inch piecrust shell

Filling
1 teaspoon water at room temp
1 teaspoon gelatin
1 large egg
2 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
Pinch of salt
1 cup fresh lemon juice (I used 4 lemons to get this amount)
1 cup hot water
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 cup Meringue (see below)

Garnish
2 cups whipped cream

-Mix the gelatin with 1 teaspoon of water to soften. Note: I don't think I've ever used gelatin before in a recipe, but when I did this step, I just got a clumpy mess.  Once I added this to the filling listed below it mixed in well, so I'm not sure why you need to go through this step (perhaps a serious baker can let me know why you need to do this.)
-Whisk together the egg, egg yolks, and sugar in a medium bowl.  Add the cornstarch and the salt.  Mix in the lemon juice, hot water, butter and lemon zest. 
-Transfer to a saucepan and cook over medium heat.  Whisk continuously until the mixture becomes bubbly and thick. Remove the pan from the heat and add in the gelatin.
-Now here's the tricky part.  The meringue.  The cookbook refers to a meringue recipe on another page and here's the ingredients:

4 large egg whites at room temp
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

I basically mixed the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer until they became foamy.  You add the cream of tartar and the salt until you get peaks. The you add the sugar one tablespoon at a time.  Once all the sugar is in, you add the vanilla and beat for 30 more seconds.  Having watched a LOT of Food Network shows, I knew my meringue was done right.  The one problem is the lemon chiffon recipe calls for only 1 cup of meringue.  This recipe makes a lot more.  I failed to measure it before putting it into my filling, so be careful about how much you add (although I think the filling would have been too sour with just 1 cup.)

-You then fold the meringue into the filling.  Pour it all into the pie crust and let chill for at least 2 hours.
-When you are ready to serve top with whipped cream and there you have it- lemon chiffon pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment