Monday, January 28, 2013

Impossible Pie

Ok, I know you are going to look at the title of this post and say "Egads, another failure?"  But no, no, this week was good!

Well, at least the pie was good.  I, personally, was not feeling so good.  I came down with the flu this week- which led me to wonder why I got a flu shot this year, since I got flu symptoms the weekend after getting the shot and then actually got the flu now.

My kids, however, must have superhuman immunity since they came out unscathed.  Except for the fact that they watched a lot of TV and I fed them like they were zoo animals this week (I basically threw slices of  meat and cheese at them so as not to breath on them or their food.)  But they usually act like zoo animals at meal time so I think we're all even.

Since I was still moving slow this weekend,  I took the opportunity to try out a type of pie I'd never even heard of before this project.  They're called "impossible pies".  According to the book I got the recipe from, an impossible pie uses Bisquick to form a "crust" rather than making a traditional pie crust.  The recipe I used isn't quite authentic since no Bisquick is harmed in the making of this pie.

And a week off from making crust is pretty awesome.  This pie is definitely easy, easy, easy. And incredibly tasty.  If you like coconut custard, but don't want to be bothered making pie crust, it is well worth it.  I will definitely be making this again since both my husband and I are crazy for anything coconut.

One note, the recipe calls for "self-rising flour".  After buying a whole bag of Aunt Jemima, I noticed it says right on the bag how to make your own.  Seriously Aunt Jemima, you're literally giving away your trade secret.  It's basically one cup all purpose flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Virginia's Almost Impossible Coconut Pie
Adapted from Mrs. Rowe's Little Book of Southern Pies
Mrs Rowes Little Book of Southern Pies on Amazon

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup self rising flour
1 1/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease pie plate.

Stir the eggs and milk together, then add sugar, flour, and coconut.  Add the butter and the vanilla and mix well.

Pour mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and bake for about 35 minutes, until set and golden brown.  The filling will wobble a bit in the center if you jiggle the pan- that's OK.

Cool on a wire rack for at least an hour and then dig in.




Doesn't look like much, but it was yummy

 


Look ma, no crust.  BTW, Mrs, Rowe's book is pretty awesome...

1 comment:

  1. This tasted like a giant macaroon! Not sure where the crust was or if this really felt like I was eating "pie" but it was definitely tasty.

    ReplyDelete