Friday, May 3, 2013

Week 17- Substitute Pie

As you know I planned to do one more "Pie I Don't Like".  However, Mother Nature foiled me.  I had promised myself that I would use local ingredients as much as possible.  Well, because it's been so cold and dreary, the ingredient I needed for the last pie is not out yet.

So I made a quick sub.  I found this recipe for cranberry chocolate nut pie and it just so happened I had all the ingredients on hand.  No trip to the supermarket for me (well, unless you count visiting three different farms earlier in the week to find rhubarb for the MIA pie.)

The other beautiful thing about this recipe is this was a pie used in another person's 52 pie project.  As you can see I'm not even original.  And her pies are much better looking than mine.  So just look at her pie picture and you can pretend it's mine.

The pie was yummy- very dense, boozy, and almost like a cookie bar in pie form.  This is definitely a keeper for a winter pie option since everything is from the pantry- and I enjoyed using up the last of my nuts, white chocolate chips and brandy from other baking projects!

Cranberry Chocolate Nut Pie
Adapted from a recipe on the blog Saving Room for Dessert
Pie Recipe

3/4 cup dried cranberries (I had sweetened on hand so that's what I used)
1/2 cup brandy (you can use orange juice but I had brandy that needed to be used up)
1 single crust pastry
1/3 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts (I used about 3/4 cup since that was all I had)
3/4 cup flour
2 oz white chocolate chips

In a bowl, combine the cranberries and the brandy.  Chill for an hour.  Drain, but save 1 tablespoon of the brandy for the pie.

Preheat oven to 325 and prepare the pie crust.

Combine all the other ingredients.  Pour into the prepared pie crust.

Bake for 65 minutes, loosely covering the pie for the last 30 minutes.  (I left my pie in an extra 5-10 minutes since it looked like it needed a little more time to bake.)

Cool on wire rack and then enjoy!

1 comment: