Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Week 12- Key Lime Pie

This week, I received a request for a pie and since I didn't have anything planned, I decided to make it.  The request comes from a person I will call ""Squishy" (and no, I was not the person who made up that alias, nor is this person my husband.)  Squishy loves all things citrus and so he asked me to make a key lime pie.

I looked online at Martha Stewart's website and made my shopping list.  Off I go to the supermarket to buy a bag of key limes.  I looked at the bag and thought, "God, what else am I going to make with all these limes?" Little did I know then that each key lime only has about 5 drops of liquid in it.  I used up all 24 limes to get the amount needed for the recipe.  My composter is now filled with little lime carcasses.

As I settled down to make the pie, I decided to use my hard copy volume of "Martha Stewart's Pies & Tarts".  But I quickly realized that the recipe online and the recipe in the book are not the same.  I didn't have the right ingredients.  So I decided to go with the online version.  That Martha, she's tricky.  You've got to stay on your toes to keep up with her.

I did add one thing to the recipe.  After last week's green pie, I decided my key lime looked anemic and added the rest of the tube of green food coloring.  Don't hate me.

All in all, the pie was easy and tasty.  Sadly, Squishy thought the pie was too tart (perhaps I should have only used 20 limes), but everyone else who tasted it thought it was yummy.

Key Lime Pie
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living Television
Key Lime Pie Recipe

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
5 tablespoons sugar
1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup key lime juice
1 tablespoon key lime zest (I forgot to zest the limes, so I did not include this in my recipe)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

-Heat oven to 375.  Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and 3 tablespoons sugar.  Mix well.  Press into pie plate and bake about 12 minutes.  Cool
-Lower oven to 325.  Whisk together condensed milk, egg yolks, lime juice, and zest.  Pour into cooled crust.
-Return pie to oven and bake about 15 minutes.
- Before serving whip cream and 2 tablespoons of sugar.  Spoon over cooled pie.


1 comment:

  1. Squishy appreciated the effort you put in to squeeze a half teaspoon of juice out of each of the 24 key limes to make this pie.

    We did enjoy getting personalized pie delivery this week and having a whole half a pie to enjoy was great. And what an awesome traveling pie plate that was. The person who gave you that must know a thing or two about pies ;) or love you very much.

    Squishy and I each ate a piece. He thought it was too tart so he decided not to have any more. That allowed me to have a piece of pie three days in a row (once for breakfast). It was tart but not in an outrageous way. Not nearly as sweet as "key lime" flavored things usually are. And the crust was amazing. Squishy actually asked me to scrape off the filling for me to eat and to give him the crust to eat (I said no).

    I would give this a thumbs up. Looking forward to some more pie! Glad I live so close to you.

    ReplyDelete